Sabayon - A Killer Linux Distro
Sabayon Linux is designed to transform a computer into a Gentoo Linux system in less than five minutes, according to the project's website. Besides functioning as a live DVD, the DVD can also be used to install the OS onto a hard drive, thus acting as an easy-to-use Gentoo installation disk.
In its announcement of the version 3.4 release, the team provided an extensive list of updates to the OS, including a 2.6.22 Linux kernel; extra power management using PowerTop; wireless on mac80211; CFS scheduler; and virtualization with KVM, Virt-Manager, and VirtualBox support.
A few other noteworthy v3.4 features and enhancements include:
- Gaming oriented (eight included games)
- NVIDIA (100.14.11) and AMD (8.38.6) GPU drivers
- NTFS read/write
- Wine Doors 0.9.40 to install Windows apps.
- Stable "cutting edge" DVD with Compiz Fusion and Metisse (Technology Preview) integration
- Now features improved execution speed, RAID10 support
- Most Laptop aware
- Updated to X.Org 7.3 with automatic Monitor configuration
- Updated to KDE 3.5.7
- Updated to GNOME 2.18.2
- GIMP graphics editor
- GAIM instant messaging client
- OpenOffice.org office suite
- Thunderbird email client
- amaroK media player
- PostgreSQL database
- MySQL database server
The team also claims the 3.4 release to be the first to support the ext4 file system "for the brave," during installation. Ext4 support was added to kernel 2.6.19 by Andrew Morton last year, and it ramps volume support to 1 exabyte (an exabyte is 1024 petabytes; a petabyte is 1024 MB).
You can download the Sabayon v3.4 ISOs via BitTorrent, here (32-bit x86; 4.3GB) and here (64-bit x86; 4.4GB). Sabayon Linux download mirrors are located here. Unlike the prior release, there are no miniEditions (CD's) listed for v3.4.
Take a peek to an eye candy posted by cyberkylian in You Tube